The Visual Art League of Lewisville (VAL) is an all-volunteer organization with members who share an interest in the visual arts and fine crafts. We organize multiple member shows each year, provide local artists the opportunity to showcase their work, produce visiting artist lectures, networking groups, educational art activities such as demonstrations, and hands-on projects, and participate in other community events. VAL is very involved in serving and enriching our community through art-viewing experiences in a local setting, supporting the schools in their visual arts programs, and collaborating with other non-profit groups to serve our community. The Visual Art League welcomes membership into our group and is excited to have you participate in our activities or visit our exhibits. Membership includes artists, students, educators, and those art advocates wanting to support the local arts community. Members provide docents to Lewisville’s MCL Grand Gallery and volunteer for other events there. The Visual Art League is proud to be sponsored in part by the City of Lewisville.
Learn more about the History of the Visual Art League ›
VAL members meet the 2nd Tuesday of each Month. The meetings are open to the public and include a short business meeting and an “Art Talk” series of lectures and demos. During the summer months, the meetings are more informal and may include outings, plein air, or paint-ins.
The mission of the Visual Art League is to promote and celebrate the creative experience.
VAL does this through:
- Promoting the arts – showcase art and music in community activities. As a member of the Greater Lewisville Arts Alliance, VAL is supportive of all the arts organization in Lewisville and the surrounding communities.
- Nurturing creative expression – provide instruction in wide-ranging aspects of the arts such as drawing, painting, sculpture, and fine crafts, as well as instruction on exhibiting.
- Stimulating and educating diverse audiences – provide exhibitions in a variety of media for the enrichment of the individual and the community. Exhibiting in the MCL Grand gallery and in businesses in the community.
2014-2015 VAL Board Members
The Board meets the 1st Tuesday of each month.
- Maurice Leatherbury, President
- Tina Alvarez, 1st Vice President
- Kartika Anderson, 2nd Vice President
- Sunny Raschke, Treasurer
- Irma Murray, Secretary
- Valerie Corwin, Director
- Elaine Nienkamp, Director
- Wanda Grice, Director
- Colleen Drew, Past President & Director
Find Us At:
Medical Center of Lewisville Theater & Center for the Creative Arts
The Visual Art League meets and exhibits at the Medical Center of Lewisville Grand Theatre & Center for the Creative Arts (The Grand) located at 100 North Charles St., Lewisville, Texas 75057 — www.mclgrand.com ›
VAL produces four exhibits a year in The Grand’s Art Gallery, a 2400 square foot art gallery with skylight. Additionally, rotating exhibits are displayed in the lobby and hallways. You are invited to visit the gallery, 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm, Tuesday through Saturday. The Gallery is also open at other times during the many events at The Grand.
Additionally, VAL sponsors Acoustic Fridays at the Art Center each Friday evening at the Grand Theater at 7:00 pm. Visitors are welcome and there is no charge.
Other Rotating Exhibit Locations
VAL members also exhibit in Lewisville on a continuing basis at:
- Tierney’s Cafe at 208 East Main Street, Lewisville, Texas